The Devil In The White City
- Herman Webster Mudgett, or H.H. Holmes was born in 1961 in Gilmanton, New Hampshire, located in Belknap county.
Holmes's Mug Shot
- Holmes was born into an affluent family, but unfortunately had a troubled childhood.
- Holmes’s father was an alcoholic, and his mother was a devout Methodist who preached bible scripture to him.
- Holmes was bullied as a child; having run in’s with bullies who forced him to face death by making him touch a skeleton.
- Holmes appeared to very intelligent at an early age.
- Young Holmes expressed a very strong interest in pharmaceuticals and medicine, sometimes dissecting and surgery on both live and dead animals.
- Rumor has it Holmes was involved in the death of one of his closest friends.
- Holmes married Clara Lovering in 1978.
- They had one son, Robert Mudgett, in 1880.
- Holmes attended and graduated from the University of Michigan Medical School in 1884.
- Holmes was entangled in scandal at the university. He was accused of stealing bodies, maiming them, and collected the deceased insurance policies.
- After graduation, Holmes moved to Chicago to work in the field of pharmaceuticals. He also perused real estate and promotional deals under an alias, H. H. Holmes.
- Holmes married Myrta Belknap in 1887 while still married to Clara Lovering.. Holmes and Myrta then had a daughter, Lucy, in 1889.
- Holmes then lived with Myrta and Lucy in Illinois, and spent most of his time in Chicago.
- Holmes then married Georgiana Yoke, his third wife, in 1984.
- Holmes also had a relationship with Julia Smythe, one of his former employees. On a side note, Smythe was one of Holmes’s future victims.